There will come a time in every ipod touch owner’s life (especially those that own an 8gb device) when the device runs out of space. Since you can’t add memory to your ipod touch like you could your desktop computer, you’ll just need to figure out how to make do with what you have. Before you despair and start regretting why you didn’t get a 64gb ipod touch, below are some tips on how you can free up space on your ipod touch.
Before we do anything, connect your ipod touch to your computer and start iTunes. Select your device under “Devices” in the side menu. You will see a bar at the bottom that says “Capacity” on the side, the number under it being the maximum storage space you have on the device.
The bar is color-coded to let you know what kinds of stuff are taking up your storage space and how much. There are ways to free up space that’s taken up by each type of content, as you will see below.
1)The “Photos” Bar
If you have a big “Photos” bar, here’s what you do to make it smaller or eliminate it altogether:
Backup and Delete – If you have lots of photos and videos in your camera roll, it’s time to back them up to your computer. Check the backup to make sure everything got backed up successfully, then delete the files from your camera roll.
2)The “Apps” Bar
Here’s what you can do to decrease the size of your “Apps” bar:
Delete Apps You’re Not Using – There may be apps you’re no longer using, like that game you downloaded and played a couple of times but got bored with and will probably never touch again, or that game you already beat 2 months ago. To check which apps are using up the most space, go to Settings > General > Usage to see how much space each app is taking up. To delete an app simply tap on it, then select “Delete App”. Be warned: Deleting an app will also delete all of the associated data and docs, so if you want to keep a copy of this stuff, you need to back it up before deleting the app from your ipod. The app itself though you can always download again from the iTunes store.
3)The “Audio” Bar
Here’s what you can do to minimize the size of your “Audio” bar:
Delete Music You Got Bored Listening To – If you have lots of music stored on your ipod, consider deleting old songs that you no longer want to listen to anymore.
Convert High Bit Rate Songs -If you have lots of audio on your ipod touch, doing this can save quite a bit of space. With your ipod touch connected to your computer, go into iTunes, select your device under “Devices”, scroll to the “Options” section and you’ll see one of the options being “Convert higher bit rate songs to” – set it to 128 kbps AAC.
4)The “Video” Bar
To minimize the “Video” portion of your capacity bar, backup and delete videos / movies you have already watched and don’t plan on watching again anytime soon (see “Backup and Delete” section above). Remember that movies you downloaded from iTunes will be available for your to download again and again any time you wish.
5)The “Other” Bar
The “Other” portion of the storage capacity bar is probably the most perplexing one. Here’s what you can try to minimize its size:
Clear Safari Cookies – Go to Settings > Safari and tap on both “Clear History” and “Clear Cookies and Data” (it’ll ask you if you’re sure in each case – just go ahead and select clear unless you have reason not to). I was able to recover a couple gigs’ worth of space just by doing this!
Delete Your Emails – Emails the device automatically downloads for you may take up quite a bit of space. Delete them to get it back!
Delete Files in Var/Mobile/Media/ApplicationArchives – If your ipod touch is jailbroken, you can use SSH to navigate to the said folder and delete any files that may be in it. These files were deposited there because while an app was being synced in the past, the process was interrupted. Some people have reported finding large files in there.
Restore Your Ipod Touch – If at this point the “Other” bar is still significantly large and you have no idea what’s taking up the space, you may want to try restoring your device to get rid of junk such as cache and backup files. To restore your ipod, select your device from within iTunes, on the summary tab click “Restore”, and when the restoring process is complete, choose to setup the ipod as a new device, then when it’s done click “Sync” at the bottom of the iTunes screen to load all your apps, music, and videos back to your device. Hopefully your effort is rewarded with new free space.
How much space were YOU able to recover? Please share in this poll:
If you have other ways of freeing up space on your ipod, please kindly share them in the comments also, thanks!
Incoming search terms:
- how to free up space on ipod touch
- ipod touch other space
- how to free up space on ipod
- how to clear space on ipod touch
- how to make more space on ipod
- how to clear space on ipod
- how to get more space on ipod
- how to free space on ipod
- how to make space on ipod
- free up space on ipod touch
- what is other on ipod touch
- how to free space on ipod touch
- freeing up space on ipod touch
- how to free up space on ipod touch 8gb
- how to get rid of other on ipod touch
- how to get rid of other on ipod touch without restoring
- Free up Space on ipod
- how to free up space on my ipod touch
- add space to ipod touch
- how to clear other on ipod touch
- how do you free up space on your ipod touch
- other on ipod touch
- clear space on iPod
- how to free up storage on ipod touch
- how to get more storage on ipod touch
- other space on ipod touch
- how do i free up space on my ipod touch
- how do i free up space on my ipod
- ipod touch other
- whats eating up more storage in ipod touch 5th generation
- how to free up space on an ipod touch
- how to clear memory on ipod touch
- ipod touch 5th generation clear cache
- trivia crack takes lots of space
- making space on ipod touch 5th generation
- ipod itouch 5 storage cleanup
- I want more space on my ipod nano
- how to make space in ipod
- how to make more spacebon ipad
- ipod irouch stirage cleanup
- does putting books in the cloud free up space in ipod touch
- how to clear up space on ipod touch
- no room on my ipod
- no more space on ipod how come
- need more space on my ipod
- more space on my ipod
- do the gigabites of my ipod affect the space in my itunes
- making more room on ipod
- make more space on ipod
- does downloading ebooks on ipod touch take up memory space?
- does photo burst take up more memory on ipod touch
- ipod touch deleted mail takes up storage space
- deleting stuff on ipod for more room
- Delete songs from overloaded ipod classic
- free up disk space on ipod itouch generation 5
- cant make room on ipod
- clear other space on ipod touch
- what ipod touch has the most memory space
- what can i delete to create more room on ipod touch 6
- ways to make space on ipod touch
- ways to clear space on ipod
- creating more space on ipod
- tips for storage space on iPod Touch
- space on ipod 8gb reserved for data
- remove trivia crack storage use
- iPod says out of space
- ipod remove bottom space
- how do you deep clean a ipod touch and get space back
- how do you get more space on a ipod
- how do you make room on ipod when over capacity?
- how ro get more space on ipod
- how to ge mire storae available on i pod toucj
- how to free up storage space on a ipod nano
- how to clean up space on my ipod touch 5g
- how to free up storage on iphone and itouch
- how to clear space on itouch
- how to free up memory on the ipod touch 5th generation?
- how to get rid of storage without deleting anything
- How to increase disk space on my Ipod?
- how do i get more storage on my ipod touch
- free up space on ipod touch 4g
- free up space on ipod tough
- hiw ti make more room on ipod without deleting apps
- i cant clear memory on my ipod
- how to remove storage from ipod touch
- how to make space on ipod touch
- how can i make room on my ipod nano
- how do i delete everything from my ipod
- how to create space on ipod
- how to make more space on my ipod
- how to free up space on ipod 8gb